The Australian National University’s Institute for Space is building Australia’s leadership in the global space industry and community.
- advocate for growing Australia’s space capability
- invest in space R&D to meet national priorities
- drive innovation and collaboration across ANU
- connect ANU researchers with global partners in innovation
- facilitate commercialisation of new space technology and services, and
- cultivate the next generation of space innovators.
Our world-leading expertise and growing capabilities
Leading the development of a global, quantum-secured optical communications network
Understanding bushfire threat relies on knowing how much fuel an area has and how dry it is. We’re designing a satellite to get that information.
Infrared light emission is a key diagnostic signature for numerous features and events in the Universe. ANU’s capability in low-noise infrared sensors is a potential paradigm change in the design of space missions.
There are thousands of objects in orbit around the planet - a collision could set off a cascade and cripple the global communication systems.